CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Priority consideration will be given to applicants whom apply by Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
WORK HOURS: Monday thru Friday; 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
BEGINNING SALARY: $15.7008 per hour; when annualized equates to $32,657.72.
The Accounting Clerk – UTILITIES performs a variety of accounting and office related duties. Duties will include accounts receivable, filing, and data entry as well as providing clerical and administrative support to the Finance Department. Work is performed under general supervision with work reviewed for results achieved. This work requires the operation of standard and electronic office equipment. This position is supervised by the Utility Accountant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Requires a regular and consistent physical presence in the City of Branson City Hall Finance Department. The duties include the following:
1. Behaves in a manner that promotes a productive, healthy, safe and positive work environment by:
- Depicting trustworthiness through integrity, truthfulness, consistency and honesty, and while protecting confidential information as necessary;
- Creating and maintaining positive relationships at all levels by treating others with courtesy, respect and in a conflict-free professional manner, and believing the best in others;
- Taking into consideration the effects on others, on costs, and on intended outcomes of decisions and actions taken;
- Upholding the public trust by being safe, enforcing safety, and working promptly, diligently and with a focus on quality;
- Showing impartiality and equity toward others, and not using job responsibilities to provide nor elicit special favors, and by not making promises that conflict with job duties and responsibilities;
- Adhering to all policies, laws and regulations as applicable to the role and to being a citizen.
2. Follows the direction of supervisor(s).
3. Answers telephones, routes switchboard calls and/or acts as backup greeting visitors at finance window.
4. Gathers and processes utility payments from utility customers and drop boxes.
5. Assists with mailing billings and shut off notices to utility customers.
6. Responsible for the accurate and efficient completion of activities included in the daily operations of clerical, customer service, and accounting operations.
7. Enters or extracts data from the City’s operating systems.
8. Develops, computes and compiles data and information for use in financial statements and accounting reports.
9. Ability to compute penalties that are owed from billings or delinquent accounts and resolves account problems.
10. Provides customer service and troubleshooting assistance to customers.
11. Performs clerical duties such as filing and proper communication including phones, fax and e-mail.
12. Performs various general clerical duties such as typing correspondence and other documents from rough drafts, preparing and maintaining records, forms, documents and reports.
13. Uses a variety of complex computerized, network-based multi-function accounting software, including all Microsoft products.
14. Assures assigned tasks are completed with a very high degree of accuracy and completeness in compliance with all applicable City of Branson administrative and financial guidelines, laws, procedures and policies.
15. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff at all levels, internal customers, and the public.
16. Responds to questions and provides information pertaining to procedures and services in a clear, concise and professional manner.
17. Accountable for the timely completion of assigned duties with minimal supervision and performing work with accuracy.
18. Responsible for the accurate and efficient completion of activities included in the daily operations of clerical and customer service.
19. Supports department personnel in the use of the City’s accounting system for cash receipts and utilities.
20. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
*Any combination of education, training, and experience providing the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures, bookkeeping principles, office methods and practices as applied to standard accounting transactions.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures and of the procedures and services of the Finance Department.
- Knowledge of modern office machines, office practices and Standard English usage; business correspondence formats; accurate grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to maintain financial records and prepare standard financial statements.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain appropriate level of confidentiality for both written and verbal information.
- Ability to handle deadlines and stressful situations in a calm, orderly and accurate manner.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and monitor activities and projects. Take appropriate initiative in completing work by setting priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to remember and recall details to provide customer and staff with appropriate information.
- Ability to read, understand and accurately interpret a variety of information.
- Ability to learn and use word the City’s central accounting system, along with associated spreadsheets, database and word processing applications.
- Ability to use various types of computer programs (including Microsoft Office) and hardware.
- Ability to collaborate using independent judgment.
- Ability to follow and successfully complete oral and written instructions.
- Ability to accept, receive and/or collect payments.
- Ability to handle a large volume of public contact, including difficult situations, in a pleasant, professional and efficient manner.
The physical demands and working environment, which follow, is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee must be able to talk, hear, sit, stoop, bend and reach to both ground level and overhead; hold and grip objects; must be able to lift/move/carry up to twenty-five (25) pounds; have the ability to multi-task when dealing with phone, computer inquiries and physical interruptions. Must be able to operate basic office equipment, ie: copier, scanner, computer keyboard, mouse and other computer technology required for job duties. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- One year of experience working with the public is required.
- Two to three years of professional office/clerical experience required.
- Accounting, fiscal auditing or double entry bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license and be insurable under the City of Branson’s insurance coverage when operating a City vehicle.
- National Career Readiness Certificate preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation.
- Must possess a high degree of integrity, strong work ethic and ability to work with minimal supervision.
YOUR FUTURE IS HERE! The City of Branson values all the women and men who serve the Branson community in their careers that positively impact the lives of the people that live, work, and play here. The City provides competitive pay and great benefits. Full time employee benefits include:
- excellent health, dental, and life insurance
- vision and other supplemental insurance available through payroll deduction
- accrued paid vacation
- accrued paid sick leave
- twelve paid holidays
- other special leave
- excellent pension plan
- other retirement savings plans available through payroll deduction
- paid training
- tuition reimbursement
EEO: The City of Branson provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition to federal law requirements, the City of Branson complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. The City of Branson will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. All individuals hired will be required to provide documentation to establish identity and employment authorization as a condition of employment. The City of Branson is a tobacco free workplace.
Local Municipal Government