The Forsyth Police Department is currently seeking qualified candidates for the full time position of Police Officer. Job duties include patrolling, traffic enforcement, interviewing witnesses, testifying in court proceedings, maintaining certifications, completing required reports in a timely manner, and other duties as assigned. The goal is to achieve community safety and crime reduction.
- After completing the department’s field training program, the shift assignment will be overnights and includes weekends and holidays.
- The City provides comprehensive health and dental insurance, LAGERS L7 pension, and uniforms.
- Officers must furnish their firearm and duty belt and must successfully complete a pre-employment background check and substance abuse testing.
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holiday pay are available after the probationary period is successfully completed.
Starting pay is $12 per hour.
- Deter crimes and assure community through high-visibility policing
- Patrol assigned areas and monitor activities to protect people/property
- Investigate crimes and apprehend suspected law violators
- Observe and respond to various situations or emergencies
- Follow rules, guidelines and protocols
- Conduct initial investigations
- Gather evidence and ensure successful prosecutions
- Produce internal reports and provide feedback on case status
- Deal with case paperwork and administrative procedures
- Foster good public relationships and liaise with community groups or individuals
- Coordinate operations with other emergency services
- Attend and provide evidence in court
- Proven working experience in law enforcement
- Proficiency in using police equipment
- Excellent knowledge of standard operating procedures, judicial procedures, civil and constitutional laws
- Working knowledge of interrogation techniques and scene management
- Knowledge and skills of law enforcement principles and practices
- Adequate interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to build effective working relationships
- Sound judgement along with effective decision making skills
- Conflict resolutions and problem solving skills
- Responsibility, dependability, honesty and integrity
- Willing to submit to extensive medical and criminal background checks
- Valid driving licence
- High school degree; BS degree in police science or related field is desirable
Minimum qualifications to be considered for the position include:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- 21 years of age or older
- Class A or B Missouri POST certification
- Valid Missouri driver’s license
- No felony or misdemeanor convictions
Applications are available at Forsyth City Hall 15405 US Hwy 160 in Forsyth or on the Police Department’s page at www.cityofforsythmo.com . Please return completed applications to the attention of Police Chief Roger Ellis at City Hall or by mail to City of Forsyth, PO Box 545, Forsyth, MO 65653. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The City of Forsyth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Forsyth Police Department is a small agency serving a community of approximately 2,500 residents. The City of Forsyth is the county seat of Taney County in southwest Missouri and many people commute to Forsyth for work or to do business at the Taney County Courthouse, increasing our daytime population. The department employs seven full-time police officers, one dispatcher, and two reserve officers to provide 24/7 police protection for our citizens and respond to calls for mutual aid assistance from other jurisdictions.
The Forsyth Police Department proudly serves the Forsyth community in all aspects of our law enforcement duties. We seek to preserve the peace, vigorously investigate crimes, promote public safety, strive to keep our streets and highways safe for the motoring public and work diligently with other agencies and organizations to see that Forsyth remains a safe place to live. Our motto, “Service to the Community,” is also our promise to do our utmost to meet the law enforcement needs of our citizens and visitors.