Crossing Guard Position:
Forsyth School has an immediate opening for a crossing guard.
Hours are 7:30-8:15am and 2:45-3:15pm on days school is in session. Applications available in superintendent’s office.
As a crossing guard, you have the opportunity to safely escort pedestrians and remind motorists of local traffic laws and regulations. You can develop important professional competencies, such as communication, listening, attentiveness and problem solving skills, that are valuable in many scenarios. Whether you are assisting in creating traffic patterns, utilizing tools to guide vehicles and pedestrians, working with authorities to track errant drivers or learning about local traffic laws and signs, there is unprecedented room for growth. If you are someone who appreciates helping others and understands the importance of being detail oriented, this job could be just what you are looking for.
- Direct pedestrians across streets after assessing traffic flow to identify breaks to allow for visibility and safe crossing
- Guide motorists through traffic patterns designed to keep pedestrians safe, and inform drivers of detours if required
- Understand the traffic laws, signs and speed limits posted within a designated jurisdiction to effectively guide vehicles and people
- Communicate crossing rules and regulations to students and ensure their understanding for optimal safety
- Collaborate with officials to develop traffic patterns that are conducive to safety, efficiency and convenience
- Maintain a crossing area that is free of hazards, and employ the appropriate tools and equipment, including lights, flags and hand signals
- Identify drivers who are speeding or driving carelessly and notify authorities by documenting their license plate number
- Vigilantly watch for impending dangers to develop effective solutions before an accident occurs
- Report the unsafe behavior of students to school officials to reduce the risk of someone getting hurt while crossing or waiting to cross a street
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Social perceptiveness and strong eyesight
- Keen understanding of local traffic laws and regulations
- Familiarity with directing traffic using tools such as lanterns and hand signals
- Physical stamina
The mission of the Forsyth R-III School District is to “Equip Students for Their Next Stage in Life.” You will find that faculty, staff, and our community work together to make this mission a reality. Our school district is conveniently located on one campus in the heart of Forsyth. Forsyth Elementary is the home to our students in preschool through fourth grade. Students in grades fifth through eighth attend our middle school and students in grades nine through twelve enroll in our high school.